Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are your fees to tenants?
A: An application fee is £95.00 per applicant over the age of 18 for a house, and £75.00 per applicant for a flat. Guarantors are priced at the same cost. To renew your contract there is a cost of £70.00 for 6months, £90.00 for 12months. If you would like a longer term contract please contact our office for these fees.

Q: Do you accept tenants on the bond scheme?
A: Yes, as agents we do accept tenants on the bond scheme, however this would only be on selected properties. Please contact us if you have seen a property that you are interested in and would like to know if the bond scheme would be accepted on a specific property.

Q: Are there any upfront costs to tenants?
A: As a tenant you would require your application fee upfront, otherwise your rent and deposit are required upon the day of handover.

Q: Are there any upfront costs to Landlords?
A: As a Landlord, there are no upfront costs to H Thomas Property. All money is exchanged at point of handover.

Q: Are there any upfront costs to Vendors?
A: As a Vendor there is no upfront costs to H Thomas Property. All money is due upon completion.

Q: What are the requirements to letting out my property?
A: As a Landlord it is important that certain regulations are met for letting out your property.
The following are required:
• Energy Performance Certificate,
• Gas Certificate,
• Electrical Certificate
• Legionnaires Certificate.

The property also has to be fitted with working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. If you would like any more information or would like us to arrange your safety checks, please contact us on 01782 777827.

Q: Do you accept pets in rental properties?
A: We do accept pets in some properties. There is a pet fee of £100.00 per pet for those properties that do accept pets.

Q: Do you accept DSS or council payments in rental properties?
A: Yes, we do accept DSS and council payments on some of our rental properties. Please contact us on 01782 777827 to find out if the property you are interested in will accept DSS and council payments.

Q: What are your fees to Landlords?
A: Our fees to Landlords vary upon which package and service you require. Please see our Lettings Packages page for a breakdown of costs to Landlords.

Q: As a landlord, do you include insurance within your fees?
A: If you select our Platinum package for the management of your property, then yes, insurance is included.

Q: What if I loose my job and I am unable to pay my rent?
A: The first thing is to contact your managing agent and inform them of your unfortunate circumstances. They may be able to come to an arrangement with your landlord until you can find alternative work. Please do not try to default on your rent without contacting us as the landlord will be less lenient with your circumstances. Please note if you are struggling to find work then there maybe an option for you to contact your local housing officer to see if you are entitled to universal credit.

Q: How many offices do you have and where are they located?
A: H Thomas Property we currently have one office which is based in Tower Square, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, ST6 5AB.

Q: What areas do you cover?
A: Having a central location means that we cover a very large rental and sales area from Tunstall, Kidsgrove, Talke, Alsager, Congleton, Biddulph, Hanley, Fenton, to further areas such as Stoke, Blythe Bridge, Stone, Stafford, Church Lawton, and wider areas covering Staffordshire and Cheshire.

Q: What is stamp duty?
A: Stamp Duty is tax that has to be paid on all properties purchased over £125,000. You pay 0% for the first £125,000, 2% on the portion up to £250,000, 5% up to £925,000, 10% up to £1.5m and 12% on anything above that.
From the 1st April 2016, Stamp Duty will increase by 3% on top of current rates, purchase of additional residential properties, such as buy to let properties and second homes.

For more information on Stamp Duty please see the following links: Stampy Duty or All you need to know.
Q: What happens if my landlord wants to sell their property?
A: If the landlord wishes to sell their property then he/she has to supply you with a section 21 notice to leave the property. This gives you two months notice to vacate the property. If you would like more information, please contact one of our team and we can advise you further.

Q: What happens if I want to do work on the property?
A: As a tenant if you wish to carry out any decorating or works to the property, we ask for you to inform the office so that your property file can be updated. Terms are set out in your tenancy agreement regarding what can be altered. As a landlord if you want to carry out works on your tenanted property then access would have to be confirmed with the tenant, terms are set out in tenancy agreements.

Q: Who is responsible for carrying out viewings on my property?
A: You do not have to feel obliged to carry out any viewings yourself. We have friendly, trained staff who can carry out viewings for you if preferred.

Q: As a tenant what information do you require for me to apply for a property?
A: To apply you will be asked to provide two forms of identification, your current

Share this page...Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someonePrint this page